The Gluten Free Chronicles of Italy: Chapter 2


While airport and train station traveling has had its inconveniences with my unfortunate gluten allergy, there have still been some amazing gluten free meals given to me! All the times I had to settle for another dinner of chicken and vegetables completely paid off this Friday when I received the best meal I have had in Florence.

On Friday, our program took us to a wine tasting in a vineyard outside Florence. We arrived at a castle in Tuscany without any idea of what to expect. As we drove through mountains and rolling hills and open land, I got my first true taste of Tuscany. We were lucky enough to get a tour of the vineyard and production inside the castle (large barrels and all).

Following the tour, we were taken a restaurant-looking room for the wine tasting. We were given four different wines to try (as well as four different courses they were paired with). Soon enough, everyone has pasta in front of them as I awkwardly drink my wine with no food. However, much to my surprise, a waiter strolls in with the best gluten free pasta and tomato sauce I have ever tasted. I savored every bite. I truly never knew plain pasta with plain tomato sauce could taste so good...

Following the amazing pasta, I was brought my own basket of homemade (yes, homemade) gluten free bread. Once again, best gluten free bread I have ever had. The bread, paired with salame, prosciutto and an egg dish epitomized a typical Tuscan and Italian dish.
 
Then, the food kept coming. After the pasta, bread, meat and eggs, came mozzarella and pecorino cheese. However, the cheese was paired with a sweet balsamic that had been in the making for over 2 years. As it sat in wooden barrels and perfectly brewed for months and months, it was brought out especially for us to taste with the cheese. This balsamic was not the usual balsamic you would put on a salad, but rather, made the cheese taste like a dessert.

Finally, we finished off with an unbelievable almond biscotti and dessert wine.

Along with the amazing gluten free food in Tuscany. I was able to get some of the best meals I've had here in Paris. Between salads, omelets, macaroons, gluten free sandwiches and gluten free crepes, I was showered in amazing food.


 




Comments

Popular Posts