Back at it Again....

Well, it looks like I have to start this blog back up again since I have accepted a position teaching English in France for a year with the TAPIF program. I will be based in Nantes, France and will be there from September to May (I wish I could leave tomorrow but oh well...). I will get the chance to teach cute little 8-11 year olds while I improve my french, live in Europe, and explore the amazing area once again.
Clearly my abroad experience had such an impact on me that I felt the need to return for an extended period of time. I was not quite ready to permanently live in The States again and being away from Europe for over a year has already taken an emotional toll on me! Luckily, my cousin who graduated a few years before me also left the US and began teaching English in Spain...and she is still there over six years later. While my parents have given me a one year time cap on this whole "Europe thing", I was able to obtain some programs through my cousin that I knew were reliable. TAPIF seemed the most organized and most beneficial for what I was wanting to do. Even though I am not an education major, the opportunity still seemed amazing to me.
After being accepted less than 2 weeks ago, the program has already been consistently in contact with me providing so much useful information that will help me over the next couple of months as I prepare to go, as well as after I arrive. I can't begin to express my excitement for this adventure. I know it will be a shock and a change, it will not be like studying abroad, and I am completely on my own this time (without a best friend travel buddy), but I am excited to meet new people and figure everything out on my own. I feel that jumping into this experience, whether or not it has to do what my degree, will help prepare me for the so-called "real world" more than jumping straight into an entry-level position in the US.

During my eight-ish months in France, I have set goals to improve my french tremendously and be proactive and independent and learn as much about the french culture as possible. Hopefully, I will be able to gain a lot of knowledge from this experience and fulfill the goals I have set for myself. I hope to use this blog as both an informational place for future TAPIF assistants as well as an update on my travels!

A Bientôt!



p.s. For those of you interested in the TAPIF program, visit www.tapif.org or http://highereducation.frenchculture.org for more information! 

Comments

Popular Posts