My Last Few Days in Rome


The rest of our week in Rome included more orientation meeting and many more historical tours. While we covered places such as the Colosseum and Vatican City, it's still hard for me to really grasp the fact that I am standing right in front of these amazing historical monuments and places.



After our meeting Wednesday morning, I attempted to go for a run without getting lost. My route scenery included the Colosseum and arch (casual right?). Later that day we took a five hour tour of the Vatican City (long but worth it). The Vatican, St. Peter's Basilica, and the Sistine Chapel were absolutely breathtaking.




However, even though the tour was amazing, getting there was a different story. I had my first (and probably last) experience on the Metro in Rome. As a shoulder-to-shoulder crowded metro speeds up to the stop covered in graffiti as if it had just left a horror movie, I was a bit skeptical to get on. I held onto my belongings for dear life and thankfully wasn't pick pocketed (unlike another girl on my program). But at least that experience is over and done with and I made it out with all of my money.



Thursday started off a bit rough. Through the long tours and early morning meetings, my body was a bit tired and decided to sleep through all of my alarms. Luckily Emma came pounding on our door at 8:35 am to wake up Jenny and I up to see the Colosseum. The Colosseum was one of my favorite parts of this entire week. It is unbelievable how it is still standing and I am able to walk around such a historic monument.



For one of our nights out in Rome we took a cab to a bar called the Drunken Ship in the Campo di Fiori. The Drunken Ship is kind of known as a "study abroad bar" and filled with tons of Americans studying abroad and just a few foreigners. It was definitely nice taking a break from the language barrier for a few hours and even running into a lot of my friends from back home!! It's definitely a weird moment when you realize you're hanging out with your other friends from home in a foreign country.

Now, after 5 busy but fulfilling days in Rome, I am finally heading to Florence!! It will be nice to settle in and not live out of a suitcase anymore and get back into my own routine.

Things I've Learned So Far About Italy...
-Don't tip
-They're offended when you don't finish food
-Italian dinners are 3 hours long
-Dinner is also 3-4 courses
-Gelato...nuf said
-Everything is prettier
-Not everyone speaks at least a little english (learned the hard way)
-Me trying to explain I'm gluten free to non-english speakers in the country of bread leads to offended waiters and confusion
-The metro is one of the sketchiest and scariest things I've ever experienced
-Coffee all day every day (aka my dream)
-Pictures can't capture anything
-I've taken more panorama pictures in the last few days than in my whole life
-Italians actually are never on time
-Manners and etiquette in general is just so different
-Everything I would do in public in America is most likely considered rude here

Arriverdici! 
Libby


**(THEY STILL HAD THEIR CHRISTMAS TREE UP - SO FOR MY CHRISTMAS OBSESSED SELF, IT WAS A DREAM COME TRUE)**





Comments

Popular Posts